About the Museum
 
 

History

Please Note: An article by PMH archivist Julie Stires about Eva Fenyes' sketchbooks from her extensive travels is the lead story in the Spril 2012 newsletter of the California Society of Archivists.  To read the article online please go to http://www.calarchivists.org/Resources/Documents/Newsletter/2012spring.pdf



Founded in 1924 as the Pasadena Historical Society, Pasadena Museum of History operates the only Museum and Research Library devoted solely to preserving and educating the public about the history of Pasadena and the west San Gabriel Valley.

Family Legacy
Since 1970, the Museum has been headquartered on the 2.1-acre grounds of the Fenyes Estate, a Pasadena Cultural landmark that is listed on both the National and California Registers of Historic Places. That year, Mrs. Fenyes' daughter, Leonora Muse Curtin, granddaughter Leonora Curtin Paloheimo, her husband Y.A. Paloheimo, and their four children donated the Mansion and Gardens, complete with original furnishings, artwork, and numerous personal items, to the Museum.

The 1906 Beaux Arts Mansion by noted architect Robert D. Farquhar, with its two-story addition in 1911 by Sylvanus Marston, provided Eva and Dr. Adalbert Fenyes a magnificent home that served as a gathering place for prominent artists, writers, musicians and scientists. The Mansion took on additional stature as the Finnish Consulate during Y.A. ("George") Paloheimo's 16-year tenure in that post (1948-1964). Today, visitors to PMH enjoy a rare opportunity to tour this landmark residence that exemplifies the cultured lifestyle of the city's prominent residents at the turn of the twentieth century.



Historic Structures
The Museum's historic structures also include the Curtin House, a gracious French-style residence designed in 1915 by Sylvanus Marston, and the Finnish Folk Art Museum, a building designed by Frederick Roehrig and adapted by Consul Paloheimo for use as a sauna/guest house.

In 1993 construction was completed on Phase I of the Museum's History Center building, which houses the Research Library and environmentally controlled archival storage areas for the Museum's extensive collections. Phase II of the project, completed in 2000, includes the History Center Galleries, Giddings Conference Room, Museum Store and Administrative Offices.

PMH is a private, nonprofit, community-based institution supported by generous gifts from foundations, corporations, businesses, individuals, and our members.


 
 
470 West Walnut Street ~ Pasadena, CA 91103 ~ Ph 626.577.1660 ~ Fax 626.577.1662 ~ info@pasadenahistory.org